Thursday 26 November 2009

Why Pentax?


After two previous careers doing other things (and being a keen amateur photographer since the age of 8) two things made it possible for me to set up Fotoboat in 2003: the introduction of "proper" digital cameras (ie DSLRs) and the Internet. I had a Pentax K1000 at the time and if I could just have converted it to digital, I'd have been delighted! But the only serious contenders at the time were Canon and Nikon, and I set out down the Canon route with an EOS 10D, followed shortly by a second hand D60 as a back-up, and a range of zoom lenses, including a 35-350 f3.5/5.6L. This wasn't the sharpest lens around, but boy what a versatile piece of kit! Stuck on a small boat in a howling gale with lens changing not a sensible option, this mega-zoom lens did great service.

The 10D became a paperweight after coming into violent contact with the side of a boat and was replaced with a 40D. When the mega-zoom also expired, this time through internal corrosion caused by saltwater spray, I started looking for something with better weather sealing. It's available on the top end Canon products, but at a price. At about this time Pentax brought out the K20, and then the K7, offering weather sealing at a more affordable price. Worth a try, I thought, and it would be nice to hold a Pentax again... Pentax UK have given me that opportunity, so thanks to them, and looking forward to getting to grips with it. The kit is expected to arrive next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment